Taking care of your deck may seem like a difficult task but can be surprisingly easy when you know what you are doing. All you need is some basic equipment’s and you can easily oil up the timber and handle your own timber deck maintenance.
Here's what you will need for proper timber deck oiling:
1) Deck cleaner
2) Decking oil, or timber color
3) Sandpaper or varying coarseness
4) Turpentine oil for thorough cleaning
5) Lot of clean rags
Besides these materials, it's also recommended that you get yourself some protective latex gloves and the following tools for oiling a timber deck:
Paint brushes and paint tray for applying oil or color
A Small hammer to fix loose nails
Once you have the equipment, deck maintenance is simply a matter of some time and little effort.
Here's what to do next:
1) Prepare the timber oil or color in the paint tray.
2) First remove any furniture that you might have lying on the deck
3) Clean up the general deck area with a broom
4) if you find any loose boards or nails while cleaning, fix them
5) Apply the deck oil with a standard size brush
6) Make sure that you get all the edges and corners of the timber and do not miss any spots.
This is all that it takes for proper timber deck maintenance. Most decks are commonly made from pine wood. Pine can last a long time and will easily ensure that your deck last over three decades with ease. However, as with any other wood, your pine deck will get weathered and even become splintered. Regular care will ensure that this does not happen. Oiling a timber deck is the easiest way to do so, and will also ensure that the wood does not get discolored.